Friday, December 10, 2010

European trip

The great trip to Europe began a couple of weeks ago and I have been far too busy or far too tired to consider blogging about where I've been and what I've eaten. Today I am changing that! ;-)

We flew Australia's favourite airline to England and so I thought as this is ostensibly a 'foodie blog' I'd blog the food we ate on the long haul flight. It's been a while since we've chosen to fly this airline as, to be honest, the service and food was fairly abysmal the last time we were on this carrier. On this trip however I thought they had improved no end!

We left Melbourne at a strange time  - 11:55pm - so were fed at 4 stages and at slightly bizzare times too!  Although I hasten to add we were both ready to eat each time the 'hosties' came around with the food (and drinks) trolley ;-)

Our first meal was supper on the leg from Melbourne to Hong Kong. This tray was laden with 'cucumber and cherry tomato salad with a lemon and chardonnay vinaigrette',  the main dish - which was  a choice of 'sage roasted chicken with a pearl barley and mushroom risotto' or twice cooked pork in a spiced master stock with fragrant rice'. Both H'o'M and I chose the chicken - because who would order pork on the plane????
The dessert was a hideous though a 'white chocolate mousse' which tasted of nothing but whipped cream! Not even a hint of chocolate! Blah!

We were supposed to sleep now, but I didn't get too much shut eye...we tried to watch movies instead, but I just couldn't concentrate.

So next was another meal....breakfast! Just a light one this time. OJ, fresh melon salad, cereal, date pain de mie (whatever that is).
No photo of these meals!

After a hideous sleep - again - we were woken with breakfast. It consisted of a 'potato and egg frittata, with bacon and oven roasted tomato'. On the side there was fresh fruit salad, yoghurt and orange juice ... for dessert there was even a banana muffin. It all sounds quite fancy when described like that but of course was just the usual airline fare really.
It was tasty though and I ate the majority of the frittata, but left the yoghurt as it was strawberry - clearly not my favourite ;-)




At some stage just before we landed at Heathrow, we were served with lunch. I guess this got us into the time zone of England as we were landing at 12:30pm.
Lunch was very tasty and the tray was absolutely laden with food! There was the obligatory salad - this time a 'vegetable salad marinated with sesame dressing' and I chose the 'steamed fish with cantonese rice wine sauce, rice and choy sum'. The big draw card for me was the choy sum actually. I ate most of the fish and the vegetables, but H'o'M ate my rice after he had eaten  his own 'braised beef with mash and green peas'!




As you can see, there was also 'Tim Tams' - which H'o'M ate both packets of - bread, biscuits and cheese.

We were very definitely well fed!

No comments: